West Virginia distillery wins over USA TODAY readers
The American craft whiskey scene has really come into its own over the past few years, expanding beyond the traditional Tennessee and Kentucky bourbons to include ryes, single malts, blends and white whiskeys made with a combination of old-world and new-school techniques.
For the past four weeks, our readers have been voting for their favorite craft whiskey distilleries from a pool of 20 nominees. Many of these distilleries work in small batches using locally-sourced ingredients. Many are family-owned. All take pride in crafting creative, great tasting whiskeys worthy of sipping.
The top 10 winners in the Best Craft Whiskey Distillery category are as follows:
- Smooth Ambler - Maxwelton, W.V.
- Limestone Branch Distillery - Lebanon, Ky.
- Garrison Brothers Distillery - Hye, Texas
- Seven Stills Brewery & Distillery - San Francisco
- Hillrock Estate Distillery - Ancram, N.Y.
- Balcones Distilling - Waco, Texas
- Arizona Distilling Company - Tempe, Ariz.
- Corsair Distillery - Nashville
- House Spirits Distillery - Portland, Ore.
- Nelson's Green Brier Distillery - Nashville
A panel of experts partnered with 10Best editors to pick the initial 20 nominees, and the top 10 winners were determined by popular vote. Experts Emily Arden Wells (Gastronomista); Brian Christensen (Artisan Spirit Magazine); Ziggy Eschliman, one of America's most authoritative and entertaining libation experts; Kevin Gray (Bevvy); Eric Grossman (Craft Spirits) and Jack Robertiello, a spirits competition judge, were chosen for their knowledge of the American craft spirits scene.
Congratulations to all these winning distilleries.License the 10Best Readers' Choice Award Logo