Nordic skiing, downhill's more cardio-centric cousin, has exploded in popularity as a fun way to get fit and enjoy some of North America's most stunning winter scenery. We asked three Olympians (all current or former members of the U.S. Nordic Ski Team) to nominate their favorite cross country resorts in North America. For the past four weeks, USA TODAY 10Best readers have been voting for their faves, and the results are in!
The top 10 winners in the category Best Cross Country Ski Resort are as follows:
- Trapp Family Lodge - Stowe, Vt.
- American Birkebeiner Trail - Hayward, Wis.
- Tahoe Donner - Truckee, Calif.
- Devil's Thumb Ranch - Tabernash, Colo.
- SilverStar Mountain Resort - Vernon, British Columbia
- Lone Mountain Ranch - Big Sky, Mont.
- Craftsbury Outdoor Center - Craftsbury Common, Vt.
- Royal Gorge Cross Country Resort - Soda Springs, Calif.
- Jackson Ski Touring Center - Jackson, N.H.
- Mount Bachelor Nordic Center - Bend, Ore.
A panel of experts picked the initial 20 nominees, and the top 10 winners were determined by popular vote. Experts Sadie Bjornsen, Holly Brooks, andSophie Caldwell were chosen based on their extensive cross country skiing experience.
Additional nominees in the category Best Cross Country Ski Resort included Bohart Ranch Cross Country Ski Center, Hatcher Pass, Kincaid Park, Methow Trails, Rendezvous Ski Trails, Soldier Hollow, Stowe Mountain Resort Cross Country Center, Summit Nordic Center, Sun Valley Nordic & Snowshoe Center and Whiteface Lake Placid Olympic Cross Country Trails.
10Best and USA TODAY extend their congratulations to all the winners.License the 10Best Readers' Choice Award Logo