For those who relish enjoying the natural majesty of North America in winter while getting a killer workout, it doesn't get much better than cross-country skiing (a.k.a. Nordic skiing). While many downhill ski resorts also maintain Nordic trails – there are a couple on this list – the best Nordic skiing is often found at dedicated resorts.
We asked a panel of cross-country ski experts to nominate their 20 favorite resorts, and for the past four weeks, our readers have been voting for their favorites.
The top 10 winners in the category Best Cross-Country Ski Resort are as follows:
- American Birkebeiner Trail - Hayward, Wis.
- White Grass Ski Touring Center - Davis, W.V.
- Lapland Lake Nordic Vacation Center - Northville, N.Y.
- Trapp Family Lodge - Stowe, Vt.
- Devil's Thumb Ranch - Tabernash, Colo.
- Maine Huts & Trails - Kingfield, Maine
- Sun Mountain Lodge - Winthrop, Wash.
- Jackson Ski Touring Center - Jackson, N.H.
- SilverStar Mountain Resort - Vernon, British Columbia
- Vista Verde Guest Ranch - Steamboat Springs, Colo.
A panel of experts partnered with 10Best editors to picked the initial 20 nominees, and the top 10 winners were determined by popular vote. Experts Reese Brown (Snowsports Industries America (SIA)), Wendy Clinch (TheSkiDiva), Lyndell Keating (Powderhounds), Nate Musson (The Not Snowboarding Podcast) and Jonathan Wiesel (Nordic Group International) were chosen based on their skiing expertise.
Other nominees for Best Cross-Country Ski Resort included Bretton Woods Nordic Center, Craftsbury Outdoor Center, The Lodge at Jackson Fork Ranch, Lone Mountain Ranch, Mount Bachelor Nordic Center, Royal Gorge Cross Country Resort, Soldier Hollow, Sundance Mountain Resort, Sun Valley Nordic & Snowshoe Center and Whiteface Lake Placid.
Congratulations to all our worthy cross-country winners.License the 10Best Readers' Choice Award Logo