As the responsible travel movement continues to gain momentum, the UN has appointed 2017 the International Year of Sustainable Tourism. So 10Best set out to find the best eco-friendly hotels in the country, hotels that go above and beyond to protect this planet we call home. Each of these 10 winners has earned certification in Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) by the U.S. Green Building Council, Energy Star or GreenLeaders status from TripAdvisor, and have earned rave reviews from our expert panelists and guests.
The top 10 winners in the category Best Eco-Friendly Hotel are as follows:
- Hotel Skyler - Syracuse, N.Y.
- Hotel Felix Chicago - Chicago
- The Hike Inn - Dawsonville, Ga.
- Berkshires Shirakaba - New Ashford, Mass.
- The Gardens Hotel - Key West
- The Ritz-Carlton, Charlotte - Charlotte
- Virgin Hotels Chicago - Chicago
- Mandarin Oriental, Las Vegas - Las Vegas
- Bardessono Hotel and Spa - Yountville, Calif.
- Inn by the Sea - Cape Elizabeth, Maine
A panel of experts partnered with 10Best editors to picked the initial 20 nominees, and the top 10 winners were determined by popular vote. Experts Claire Endean-Cance (Luxury Travel Diary), Eric Grossman, Gerrish Lopez, Christopher Parr (Pursuitist) and Nancy Trejos (USA TODAY) were chosen based on their knowledge and experience of the hotel scene across the nation.
Congratulations to all these winning hotels!License the 10Best Readers' Choice Award Logo