Move over Cannes! The film festival circuit in the USA is packed with fantastic events, from heavy hitters to up-and-comers screening tomorrow's biggest names in cinema. Over the course of four weeks, USA TODAY 10Best readers cast ballots for their favorite film festivals from a list of 20 nominees, and now we have a winner.
Cinequest, an annual festival in San Jose, Calif. aiming to encourage creativity and recognize new technology in the film industry, took home top honors. Runner-up Cleveland International Film Festival not only screens features, it's also an Academy-qualifying festival for shorts.
The top 10 winners in the category Best Film Festival are as follows:
- Cinequest Film Festival - San Jose, Calif.
- Cleveland International Film Festival
- Pan African Film Festival - Atlanta & Los Angeles
- Santa Barbara International Film Festival
- Full Frame Documentary Film Festival- Durham, N.C.
- True/False Film Fest - Columbia, Mo.
- Napa Valley Film Festival - Napa Valley, Calif.
- Palm Springs International ShortFest
- Seattle International Film Festival
- Outfest Los Angeles LGBT Film Festival
A panel of experts picked the initial 20 nominees, and the top 10 winners were determined by popular vote. Other nominees included the DC Shorts Film Festival, Miami International Film Festival, Breckenridge Film Festival, Hamptons International Film Festival, AFI DOCS, Sundance Film Festival in Park City, South by Southwest Film in Austin, Telluride Film Festival, Tribeca Film Festival in New York and the Chicago International Children's Festival.License the 10Best Readers' Choice Award Logo