From sea to shining sea, the United States is covered in spectacular and sometimes strange geological formations – natural wonders that make it easy to see why it's called America the Beautiful. We asked 10Best readers to vote for their favorite iconic American geological formations, and the results are in.
The top 10 winners in the category Best Geological Formation are as follows:
- Shiprock - Shiprock, N.M.
- Devils Tower - Devils Tower, Wyo.
- Bryce Canyon Hoodoos - Garfield County, Utah
- Antelope Canyon - Page, Ariz.
- Halema‘uma‘u - Big Island, Hawaii
- The Wave - Coyote Buttes, Ariz.
- Natural Bridge - Natural Bridge, Va.
- Monument Valley - Arizona & Utah
- Delicate Arch - Arches National Park, Utah
- Turnip Rock - Port Austin, Mich.
Other formations nominated in this category included Chimney Rock in Scotts Bluff, Neb.; Devils Postpile in Mammoth Lakes, Calif.; Fisher Towers in Moab, Utah; Goblin Valley in Green River, Utah; Half Dome in Yosemite, Calif.; Haystack Rock in Cannon Beach, Ore.; Mono Lake Tufas in Lee Vining, Calif.; Monument Rocks in Grinnell, Kan.; Smith Rock in Terrebonne, Ore. and Spider Rock in Canyon de Chelly, Ariz.
Congratulations to all our winners!License the 10Best Readers' Choice Award Logo