Native to Montana, huckleberries thrive at elevations over 3,500 feet and dot the state’s high-altitude valleys and hills. These blueberry-like morsels are not cultivated commercially, so they must be foraged in the wild. They’re highly sought after and often find their way into a range of baked goods, including pies. Due to the rare nature of the berry, huckleberry pies are often served seasonally, and often mixed with other fruits within a flaky crust.
The top 10 winners in the Best Huckleberry Pie in Montana category are as follows:
- Glacier Highland - West Glacier
- Willows HuckleberryLand - Hungry Horse
- Rock 'n Roll Bakery - East Glacier Park
- Looking Glass Restaurant - East Glacier Park
- Two Sisters Cafe - Babb
- Carolyn's Cafe - Hungry Horse
- The Huckleberry Patch - Hungry Horse
- Loula's Cafe - Whitefish
- Grateful Bread Bigfork Cafe & Bakery - Bigfork
- Mountain Mama's Coffee House & Bakery - West Yellowstone
A panel of experts partnered with 10Best editors to pick the initial 20 nominees, and the top 10 winners were determined by popular vote. Experts Lynn Donaldson (TheLastBestPlates.com), Nicole Gonzalez (Visit Montana) and Donnie Sexton were chosen for their knowledge of the food scene in the state.
Congratulations to all these winning restaurants!License the 10Best Readers' Choice Award Logo