After four weeks of voting, the polls are closed and the winners of the 10Best Readers' Choice contest for Best National Monument have been selected.
The category winner, Mount St. Helens National Volcanic Monument in Washington, features a rugged volcanic landscape to explore as well as a visitors center filled with interesting insights into volcanoes and how they work.
Runner-up for Best National Monument, Devils Tower, holds a special place in U.S. history as the first ever national monument, designated by President Theodore Roosevelt in 1906.
The top 10 winners in the category Best National Monument are as follows:
- Mount St. Helens National Volcanic Monument- Wash.
- Devils Tower National Monument - Wyo.
- Oregon Caves National Monument - Ore.
- Fort McHenry National Monument - Md.
- Statue of Liberty National Monument - N.Y.
- Giant Sequoia National Monument - Calif.
- Castillo de San Marcos National Monument - Fla.
- Muir Woods National Monument - Calif.
- Canyon de Chelly National Monument - Ariz.
- White Sands National Monument - N.M.
A panel of experts picked the initial 20 nominees, and the top 10 winners were determined by popular vote. Experts Mike Wendland (Roadtreking.com), David and Kay Scott (Complete Guide to the National Park Lodges) and Karen Catchpole and Eric Mohl (Trans-Americas Journey) were chosen based on their extensive travel experience in the U.S.
Additional nominees included Pipestone National Monument, Colorado National Monument, Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument, Craters of the Moon National Monument, Little Bighorn Battlefield National Monument, Gila Cliff Dwellings National Monument, San Juan Islands National Monument, Misty Fjords National Monument, Fort Sumter National Monument and Booker T. Washington National Monument.
10Best and USA TODAY extend their congratulations to all the winners. The contest was promoted on 10Best and USA TODAY.License the 10Best Readers' Choice Award Logo