New Ulm Oktoberfest, Mt. Angel Oktoberfest, Oktoberfest Zinzinnati and Linde Oktoberfest Tulsa in top five
Oktoberfest was born in 1810 when Prince Ludwig of Bavaria married Princess Therese, and they threw quite the beer-infused party to celebrate. Today, the German festival is recreated all over the globe, including in many American cities.
We asked USA TODAY 10Best readers to vote for their favorite American Oktoberfest celebrations, and after four weeks of daily voting, the results are in.
The top 10 winners in the category Best Oktoberfest are as follows:
- Reading Liederkranz Oktoberfest - Reading, Penn.
- New Ulm Oktoberfest - New Ulm, Minn.
- Mt. Angel Oktoberfest - Mount Angel, Ore.
- Oktoberfest Zinzinnati - Cincinnati
- Linde Oktoberfest Tulsa - Tulsa
- Big Bear Lake Oktoberfest - Big Bear Lake, Calif.
- Wurstfest - New Braunfels, Texas
- Oktoberfest Live! - Philadelphia
- Hunter Mountain Oktoberfest - Hunter, N.Y.
- St. Alphonsus Oktoberfest - Chicago
A panel of experts partnered with 10Best editors to picked the initial 20 nominees, and the top 10 winners were determined by popular vote. Experts Nick Costa (The Hop Review) and Gary Monterosso (What’s On Tap,) were chosen based on their knowledge of American beer culture.
Congratulations to all these winning events!License the 10Best Readers' Choice Award Logo