Nothing says "summer" like splashing in the sunshine – it's no wonder water parks have become such a popular option for traveling families (or those looking for a stay-cation). According to the World Waterpark Association, there are more than 1,200 water parks in the United States, and 10Best teamed up with our readers to find the best in the nation.
After four weeks of intense voting, Wilderness Resort in Wisconsin Dells, the "Waterpark Capital of the World," took home the title of Best Outdoor Water Park.
The top 10 winners in the category Best Outdoor Water Park are as follows:
- Wilderness Resort - Wisconsin Dells, Wis.
- Splashin' Safari - Santa Claus, Ind.
- Schlitterbahn New Braunfels - New Braunfels, Texas
- Aquatica Orlando - Orlando
- Water World - Denver
- Aquatica San Antonio - San Antonio
- Noah's Ark - Wisconsin Dells, Wis.
- Water Country USA - Williamsburg, Va.
- Wet 'n Wild Emerald Pointe - Greensboro, N.C.
- Dollywood's Splash Country - Pigeon Forge, Tenn.
A panel of experts picked the initial 20 nominees, and the top 10 winners were determined by popular vote. Experts Joanne DiBona (Scenic Photos), Eileen Ogintz (Taking the Kids) and Dave Parfitt (AdventuresbyDaddy.com) were chosen based on their extensive knowledge of American water parks.
Other nominees for Best Outdoor Water Park included Adventure Island, Aquatica San Diego, Disney's Blizzard Beach, Disney's Typhoon Lagoon, Knott's Soak City Orange County, Raging Waters San Dimas, Schlitterbahn Galveston Island, Six Flags Hurricane Harbor, Soak City and White Water in Branson.
10Best and USA TODAY extend their congratulations to all the winners.
License the 10Best Readers' Choice Award Logo