Chubby's Cafe, Apollo Burger, Woody's Drive-In and American Burgers also winners
Contrary to what the name might have you believe, a pastrami burger isn't a burger made from pastrami. It's a burger topped with a heaping mound of the seasoned, brined and smoked meat.
While the pastrami burger likely has its roots in Southern California, the Greek communities in Salt Lake City quickly embraced the meat on meat creation. Crown Burgers is the undisputed originator of the sandwich in Utah – the first location was opened in 1978 by the Katsanevas family.
Today burger joints throughout the state feature some form of pastrami-stacked burger on their menu. Many include swiss cheese and either Thousand Island dressing or Utah's ubiquitous fry sauce (a mixture of ketchup, mayo and spices).
10Best and Sandwich America wanted to find the best pastrami burger in the state, so 10Best editors joined forces with a local Utah food writer and The Food Channel to nominate 20 worthy restaurants across the state. USA TODAY and 10Best readers have been voting daily for their favorites for the past four weeks, and now the results are in.
The top 10 winners in the category Best Pastrami Burger in Utah are as follows:
- Lucky 13 - Salt Lake City
- Chubby's Cafe - Pleasant Grove
- Apollo Burger - Multiple Locations
- Woody's Drive-In - Salt Lake City
- American Burgers - Grantsville
- Salt City Burger Co. - Sandy
- Crown Burgers - Salt Lake City
- From Scratch - Salt Lake City
- JCW's The Burger Boys - Multiple Locations
- Astro Burgers - Multiple Locations
Congratulations to all these winning burger joints!License the 10Best Readers' Choice Award Logo