Some of the world's most majestic, colorful, amazing life forms spend their lives – all or in part – within the world's rivers, lakes and oceans. 10Best asked a panel of wildlife experts to nominate their top 20 places in the United States to observe aquatic life, then we turned it over to you!
After four weeks of reader voting, the results are in and Stellwagen Bank National Marine Sanctuary in Massachusetts has taken the title of Best Place to See Aquatic Life.
The top 10 winners in the category Best Place to See Aquatic Life are as follows:
- Stellwagen Bank National Marine Sanctuary - Massachusetts
- Monterey Bay National Marine Sanctuary - California
- Crystal River National Wildlife Refuge - Florida
- Kilauea Point National Wildlife Refuge - Hawaii
- Homosassa Springs Wildlife State Park - Florida
- Channel Islands National Park - California
- J. N. "Ding" Darling National Wildlife Refuge - Florida
- Corkscrew Swamp Sanctuary - Florida
- Everglades National Park - Florida
- Puget Sound - Washington
A panel of experts picked the initial 20 nominees, and the top 10 winners were determined by popular vote. Experts David Houghton (National Wildlife Refuge Association), Stephen W. Kress (National Audubon Society) and David Mizejewski (National Wildlife Federation) were chosen based on their extensive knowledge of American wildlife.
Other contenders for the title included Alaska Maritime National Wildlife Refuge in Alaska, Archie Carr National Wildlife Refuge in Florida, Dry Tortugas National Park in Florida, John Pennekamp Coral Reef State Park in Florida, Merritt Island National Wildlife Refuge in Florida, Midway Atoll National Wildlife Refuge in Midway Atoll, Monomoy Island National Wildlife Refuge in Massachusetts, Point Reyes National Seashore in California, Vieques National Wildlife Refuge in Puerto Rico and Virgin Islands National Park in the U.S. Virgin Islands.
Congratulations to all our winning parks and refuges!License the 10Best Readers' Choice Award Logo