You don't have to fly to Africa to go on safari! At these 10 safari and wildlife parks, nominated by a panel of experts and voted by our readers as the best in the U.S., visitors get up close and personal with exotic and endangered animals from around the country and the world. Many of the facilities focus on conservation as well as education.
The top 10 winners in the category Best Safari Park are as follows:
- Colorado Wolf and Wildlife Center - Divide, Colo.
- Lee G. Simmons Wildlife Safari Park - Ashland, Neb.
- Fossil Rim Wildlife Center - Glen Rose, Texas
- San Diego Zoo Safari Park - San Diego
- Bearizona - Williams, Ariz.
- B. Bryan Preserve - Point Arena, Calif.
- Lion Country Safari - Loxahatchee, Fla.
- Safari West - Santa Rosa, Calif.
- African Safari Wildlife Park - Port Clinton, Ohio
- The Wilds - Cumberland, Ohio
A panel of experts partnered with 10Best editors to picked the initial 20 nominees, and the top 10 winners were determined by popular vote. Experts Debra Erickson (International Zoo Educators Association), Eileen Ogintz (Taking the Kids) and Alan Sironen (Zoo Consultants International) were chosen based on their knowledge and experience of the industry.
Other nominated safari parks included Busch Gardens Tampa Bay, Disney's Animal Kingdom, Grizzly & Wolf Discovery Center, Natural Bridge Wildlife Ranch, Northwest Trek Wildlife Park, Six Flags Great Adventure & Safari, Virginia Safari Park, White Oak, Wildlife Safari and Wild Wilderness Drive-Through Safari.
Congratulations to all our winners!License the 10Best Readers' Choice Award Logo