Beginning in early summer (sometimes as early as April), blue crabs emerge from hibernation and shed their hard shells in preparation to grow new ones. For three to four hours, the shell is soft, creating an ingredient prized by chefs up and down the Eastern seaboard. Often these crustaceans get dredged in a mixture of cornmeal and flour, deep fried and served as is or between two buns as a succulent seafood sandwich.
10Best and Sandwich America set out to find the best soft-shell crab sandwich in the state, and to do so, 10Best editors joined forces with The Food Channel to nominate 20 worthy restaurants across the state. After four weeks of voting, the results are in.
The top 10 winners in the category Best Soft-Shell Crab Sandwich in Delaware are as follows:
- Mickey's Family Crab House - Bethany Beach
- Crabby Dick's - Delaware City
- Wiso's Crabs - Delaware City
- Matt's Fish Camp - Bethany Beach
- FINS Fish House & Raw Bar - Rehoboth Beach
- Pleasanton's Seafood - Dover
- Fenwick Crab House - Fenwick Island
- Harry’s Seafood Grill - Wilmington
- Alex's Seafood Restaurant & Clam Bar - New Castle
- Kathy’s Crab House - Delaware City
Congratulations to all these winning restaurants and crab houses!License the 10Best Readers' Choice Award Logo