Laura Ingalls Wilder Sites take runner-up spot
In South Dakota, pristine wilderness meets the Wild West. It's a state where a traveler can hike amid the imposing peaks of the Black Hills, watch a gunslinger shootout in Deadwood or pay tribute to presidents past at Mount Rushmore. The countryside brims with recreational possibilities, while towns like Pierre, Rapid City and Mitchell offer a host of cultural attractions.
We asked our readers to choose their favorites, and the results are in. The top 10 winners in the category Best South Dakota Attraction are as follows:
- Reptile Gardens - Rapid City
- Laura Ingalls Wilder Sites - De Smet
- National Music Museum - Vermillion
- The World's Only Corn Palace - Mitchell
- Minuteman Missile National Historic Site - Philip
- Custer State Park - Custer
- Akta Lakota Museum & Cultural Center - Chamberlain
- Mount Rushmore National Memorial - Keystone
- Mammoth Site - Hot Springs
A panel of experts partnered with 10Best editors to picked the initial 20 nominees, and the top 10 winners were determined by popular vote. Experts Lisa Meyers McClintick and a representative from the South Dakota Department of Tourism were chosen based on their knowledge and experience of travel in the state.
Congratulations to all these winning attractions!License the 10Best Readers' Choice Award Logo