We've all heard of New York and Chicago-style pizzas, but what about tomato pie? Popular in the Mid-Atlantic region of the United States–including New Jersey–tomato pie comes in two sub-variations. Trenton-style tomato pie typically starts with a thin and crispy crust, topped with mozzarella cheese followed by crushed tomatoes on top. The Philly bakery style, also popular in parts of the Garden State, is made with a thick, focaccia-like crust topped with chunky tomato sauce and little or no cheese.
The top 10 winners in the category Best Tomato Pie in New Jersey are as follows:
- Classico Tomato Pies - West Windsor Township
- Krispy Pizza - Old Bridge
- Maruca's Tomato Pies - Seaside Heights
- Cacia's Bakery - Multiple Locations
- DeLorenzo's Tomato Pies - Robbinsville
- Papa's Tomato Pies - Robbinsville
- Palermo's - Bordentown
- Holy Tomato Pies - Blackwood
- DeLucia's Brick Oven Pizza - Raritan
- Razza - Jersey City
A panel of experts partnered with 10Best editors to picked the initial 20 nominees, and the top 10 winners were determined by popular vote. Experts Marla Cimini (USA TODAY), Jenna Intersimone (MyCentralJersey.com and DailyRecord.com) and Stephanie Vermillion (The Wanderlost Way) were chosen based on their knowledge and experience of the state food scene.
Congratulations to all these winning restaurants!License the 10Best Readers' Choice Award Logo