Craftsbury General Store, Newport Natural Market & Cafe, J.J. Hapgood General Store & Eatery and Morse Block Deli in top five
The Vermont food scene is characterized by its fresh, local ingredients, and there's one sandwich that exemplifies this food philosophy: The Vermonter. While the sandwich varies from deli to deli, it often includes a combination of ham, turkey, fresh apple slices, Vermont cheese and mustard on fresh-baked bread.
The sandwich was the brainchild of Jason Maroney, owner of Sweetwaters American Bistro in Burlington. He came up with the idea in the 90s after recognizing how little apples were being used in local food.
10Best and Sandwich America wanted to find the best Vermonter in the state, and to do so, 10Best editors joined forces with local Vermont food writers and The Food Channel to nominate 20 worthy restaurants. After four weeks of voting, the results are in.
The top 10 winners in the category Best Vermonter in Vermont are as follows:
- Jericho Center Country Store - Jericho Center
- Craftsbury General Store - Craftsbury
- Newport Natural Market & Cafe - Newport
- J.J. Hapgood General Store & Eatery - Peru
- Morse Block Deli - Barre
- Woodstock Farmers' Market - Woodstock
- August First Bakery & Cafe - Burlington
- Red Hen Baking Co. - Middlesex
- Klinger's Bread Company - South Burlington
- Martone's Market & Cafe - Essex Junction
Congratulations to all these winning sandwich shops!License the 10Best Readers' Choice Award Logo