Best Virginia attraction? 10Best readers say Colonial Williamsburg!
Virginia Creeper Trail, Thomas Jefferson's Poplar Forest, Natural Bridge State Park and Chincoteague National Wildlife Refuge in top five
Virginia, the birthplace of America, is steeped in history having witnessed many of the nation's most defining moments. But its heritage is only part of the appeal of Old Dominion. The state's natural attractions are as diverse as its history, from the shores of Chesapeake Bay and the beaches of the Atlantic coast to the Blue Ridge Mountains and spectacular Shenandoah Valley.
We asked a panel of Virginia travel writers and photographers to nominate their favorite attractions in the state, and for the past four weeks, 10Best readers have been voting for their favorites.
The top 10 winners in the category Best Virginia Attraction are as follows:
- Colonial Williamsburg - Williamsburg
- Virginia Creeper Trail - Abingdon
- Thomas Jefferson's Poplar Forest
- Natural Bridge State Park - Natural Bridge
- Chincoteague National Wildlife Refuge - Chincoteague Island
- Grayson Highlands State Park - Mouth of Wilson
- Appomattox Court House National Historical Park - Appomattox
- Thomas Jefferson's Monticello - Charlottesville
- George Washington's Mount Vernon - Mount Vernon
- Arlington National Cemetery - Arlington
A panel of experts partnered with 10Best editors to picked the initial 20 nominees, and the top 10 winners were determined by popular vote. Experts Leonard M. Adkins (The Habitual Hiker), Ken Budd (650,000 Hours), Jason Frye, Gina Gallucci White, Charles McCool (McCoolTravel.com), Julie McCool (Fun in Fairfax VA) and Martha Steger were chosen based on their knowledge and experience of travel in Virginia.
Congratulations to all these winning attractions.License the 10Best Readers' Choice Award Logo