Walleye, the state fish of South Dakota, has a flaky white flesh and a sweet, mild flavor. Anglers from around the nation come to South Dakota in search of this prized fish, and during the summer season, it hits the fry pan in restaurant kitchens across the state.
Often lightly breaded and fried, walleye finds its way onto many a menu in the form of a sandwich, often served no-frills with lettuce, tomato and a bit of tartar sauce.
10Best and Sandwich America set out to find the best walleye sandwich in the state. To do so, 10Best editors joined forces with the South Dakota Department of Tourism and The Food Channel to nominate 14 worthy restaurants across the state. For the last four weeks, our readers have been voting daily for their favorites, and the results are in.
The top 10 winners in the category Best Walleye Sandwich in South Dakota are as follows:
- Drifters Bar & Grille - Fort Pierre
- RiverCenter Cafe - Pierre
- Bay Leaf Cafe - Spearfish
- Brown Rock Café - Deadwood
- The Landing Restaurant and Lounge - Yankton
- McNally's Irish Pub - Sioux Falls
- Callaway's - Sioux Falls
- Minervas - Multiple Locations
- Watertown Brewing Co. - Watertown
- Lunkers Restaurant - Watertown
Congratulations to all our winning sandwich shops in South Dakota!License the 10Best Readers' Choice Award Logo