Sometimes the best seafood comes in a modest package, as these 10 seafood shacks prove. These no-frills eateries, chosen by a panel of food and seafood experts as the best in the nation, serve up fresh, succulent seafood in an al fresco, waterfront setting. Simply delicious!
The top 10 winners in the category Best Waterfront Seafood Shack are as follows:
- Woodman's of Essex - Essex, Mass.
- Indian Pass Raw Bar - Port St. Joe, Fla.
- Abbott's Lobster in the Rough - Noank, Conn.
- Roy Moore Lobster Co. - Rockport, Mass.
- Local Ocean Seafoods - Newport, Ore.
- Skippers Fish Camp - Darien, Ga.
- Bowpicker Fish & Chips - Astoria, Ore.
- Old Oregon Smoke House - Rockaway Beach, Ore.
- The Clam Shack - Kennebunkport, Maine
- Five Islands Lobster Co. - Georgetown, Maine
A panel of experts picked the initial 20 nominees, and the top 10 winners were determined by popular vote. Experts Karen Gaudette Brewer (Seafood Lover's Pacific Northwest), Eric Grossman (USA TODAY), Anna Hider (Roadtrippers), Sally Lerman (Lobster Gal), Gerrish Lopez (USA TODAY), Jane and Michael Stern (Roadfood.com) and Mike Urban were chosen based on their extensive knowledge of seafood and culinary travel.
Other nominees in this category included Alabama Jack's in Key Largo, Fla.; Bowens Island Restaurant in Folly Island, S.C.; Da Poke Shack in Kailua-Kona, Hawaii; Doc's Seafood Shack and Oyster Bar in Orange Beach, Ala.; Ecola Seafood Restaurant and Market in Cannon Beach, Ore.; Flo's Clam Shack in Middletown, R.I.; Hama Hama Oyster Saloon in Lilliwaup, Wash.; The Lobster Shack at Two Lights in Cape Elizabeth, Maine; The Marshall Store in Marshall, Calif. and Red's Eats in Wiscasset, Maine.
Congratulations to all our winners! Remember to keep this list handy next time you're visiting the coast – east or west – for some fresh and tasty seafood.License the 10Best Readers' Choice Award Logo