Note from 10Best: Someday, we'll all be ready to pack our suitcases again and head out on our next adventures. In the meantime, we'll keep supporting the places that inspire us.
North America is home to hundreds of zoological parks, including more than 200 facilities accredited by the Association of Zoos and Aquariums (AZA). Short of heading out into the world's wild places, nothing beats a visit to the zoo to foster an appreciation for the striking animal diversity of our planet. We asked our readers to vote for their favorite North American AZA-accredited zoos – facilities that excel in the fields of animal care and enrichment, while also facilitating meaningful interactions between animals and human visitors.
The top 10 winners in the category Best Zoo are as follows:
- Fort Worth Zoo - Fort Worth
- Cincinnati Zoo & Botanical Garden - Cincinnati
- Omaha's Henry Doorly Zoo and Aquarium - Omaha, Neb.
- Cheyenne Mountain Zoo - Colorado Springs
- Brevard Zoo - Melbourne, Fla.
- Audubon Zoo - New Orleans
- San Diego Zoo - San Diego
- Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum - Tucson
- Dallas Zoo - Dallas
- Living Desert Zoo and Gardens - Palm Desert, Calif.
A panel of experts partnered with 10Best editors to pick the initial nominees, and the top 10 winners were determined by popular vote.
Congratulations to all these winning zoos!License the 10Best Readers' Choice Award Logo