Also Featured In
South Mountain Park
A maze of well-maintained hiking trails crisscrosses one of the largest municipal parks in the world. For a spectacular view, drive to Dobbins Lookout Point and gaze at the city from 1200 feet. Then,... Read More
A maze of well-maintained hiking trails crisscrosses one of the largest municipal parks in the world. For a spectacular view, drive to Dobbins Lookout Point and gaze at the city from 1200 feet. Then, trek to Happy Valley via a trail through South Mountain Park. The place is magnificent, especially in springtime when the terrain is knee-deep with wildflowers. Free maps are available at the entrance, but no glass containers are permitted on the premises. If you want to drive to the top, arrive no later than 9 pm. This is one of the largest municipal city parks in the country, so make sure to bring plenty of water, especially if you're planning a visit during the summer months.
- Daily 4:30am-10pm
- Best for Romantic Things to Do Because: Drive up to Dobbin's Lookout atop South Mountain Park, where lovers gather at sunset to drink in the sweeping city views.
- Best for Free Things to Do Because: South Mountain Park is one of the country's largest municipal parks, a scenic desert oasis just south of downtown Phoenix.
- Recommended as Best Attractions & Activities Because: South Mountain Park is one of the largest city parks in the country and a great Phoenix hiking destination.
- Best for Attractions near US Airways Center Because: Located just south of downtown, South Mountain Park is ideal for outdoor enthusiasts and nature lovers.
- Best for Outdoor Activities Because: South Mountain Park is the biggest municipal park in the country, and offers hiking trails for all levels. Don't miss the views from Dobbins Lookout.