Since its debut in the spring of 2016, Tacos Chiwas has become the darling of the local Phoenix Mexican food scene. You can thank the restaurant's tight, focused menu, which specializes in the soulful... Read More
Since its debut in the spring of 2016, Tacos Chiwas has become the darling of the local Phoenix Mexican food scene. You can thank the restaurant's tight, focused menu, which specializes in the soulful cooking of the northern Mexican state of Chihuahua. Come here for tacos built on freshly-pressed tortillas. Highlights here include the Lengua (tongue) and tripas (tripe) tacos. You'll also want to try the homemade gorditas, especially stuffed with something like rajas, the restaurants medley of fire-roasted peppers, which are blended with melted queso asadero and a smear of refried beans. Speaking of beans, don't miss the restaurant's homemade bean stew, served with sliced-up hot dogs and perfumed with cilantro.
- Best Value: "The Deshebrada Roja and Deshebrada Verde are a must try."
- Lunch: "Try the homemade gorditas."
- Mexican: "Check out Cafe Chiwas next door, which specializes in fresh tamales, pastries and coffee."
- Best Restaurants: "Try the homemade and expertly stuffed gorditas. It is like the taco sandwich you never know you needed."
- Recommended as Best Value Because: Taco Chiwas is a reliable spot for well-crafted, Chihuahua-inspired Mexican food, and it definitely won't break the bank.
- Best for Lunch Because: For a fast yet satisfyingly homespun lunch, don't miss Tacos Chiwas.
- Best for Mexican Because: Tacos Chiwas is a counter-service Mexican restaurant with great tacos, gorditas and other Chihuahua-inspired family recipes.
- Recommended as Best Restaurants Because: Tacos Chiwas imbues classic northern Mexican comfort food with craft and soul.
Find the 10Best nearby: