Also Featured In
Type: Historic Sites, Sightseeing
About 50 miles south of Tucson is the artsy little town of Tubac. Start at the Visitor's Center in the La Entrada de Tubac shopping center, where you can pick up maps and plenty of brochures about... Read More
About 50 miles south of Tucson is the artsy little town of Tubac. Start at the Visitor's Center in the La Entrada de Tubac shopping center, where you can pick up maps and plenty of brochures about local attractions. You'll certainly want to see Tubac Presidio State Historic Park, which dates back to 1752 and houses some wonderful historical and archaeological exhibits. You can hike the Anza Trail between this park and Tumacacori National Historic Park (about 3 miles). The trail crosses the Santa Cruz river a couple of times so you'll get wet feet, but it's a great way to see the variety of plant and animal life that a constant water source brings to an otherwise arid desert. Finally, be sure to spend some time browsing through the numerous art and craft galleries, charming boutiques and eclectic shops offering everything from handmade beads and furniture to Native American pottery and contemporary art glass. A fun day trip!
- Visitor's Center: Mon-Sat 9am-5pm; Sun Noon-5pm
- Tubac Presidio State Historic Park: Thu-Mon 9am-5pm
- Tubac Presidio State Historic Park Free - $3
- Romantic Things to Do: "If you are so inclined, take a hike along the nearby Santa Cruz River, a scenic trail shaded by hundreds of cottonwood trees. The trailhead is located near Tubac Presidio Park."
- Sightseeing: "Take a hike along the nearby Santa Cruz River, a scenic trail shaded by hundreds of cottonwood trees."
- Best for Romantic Things to Do Because: Although you'll have to drive about 50 miles to get there, Tubac offers a nice, quiet escape from the city for couples.
- Best for Sightseeing Because: Tubac is one of Arizona's most historic villages and a great place to shop for authentic Southwestern arts and crafts goods.