Explore Rio de Janeiro
Type: Active, Adventure, Attractions, Beaches, Countryside, Day Trips, Family Friendly, Great Views, Local Picks, Outdoor Activities, Public Spaces, Relaxing, Romantic, Sightseeing, Uniquely Here, Unusual, Water
If you´ve been partied hard during your Rio vacation and need a little R&R in more tranquil surrounds, the Costa Verde (Green Coast)of Rio de Janeiro State has you covered. This glorious stretch... Read More
If you´ve been partied hard during your Rio vacation and need a little R&R in more tranquil surrounds, the Costa Verde (Green Coast)of Rio de Janeiro State has you covered. This glorious stretch of coastline takes in almost countless beaches and islands. The Costa Verde town of Angra dos Reis alone is surrounded by 365 islands. The largest of these is the vast nature reserve of Ilha Grande, a tropical island beauty whose history as a prison for dangerous criminals and, before that, a leper colony, has not stopped visitors from flocking here. The car-free paradise today offers wonderfully isolated beaches, excellent hiking, swimming and sunbathing, and a good range of guesthouses in every price range.
Rio de Janeiro,
- Beaches, Things to Do in December, Tours and Excursions: "Official ferries leave for Ilha Grande once a day from the seaside town of Angra dos Reis, but it's faster to get a fishing boat from nearby Conceicao de Jacarei, which can be reached by coach or group transfer from Rio."
- Romantic Things to Do, Outdoor Activities: "The main points of interest along the Costa Verde are Mangaratiba, Angra dos Reis and Ilha Grande. Boats depart from Angra dos Reis each afternoon and take around two hours. Should you miss the official ferry, there are scores of fishing boats on hand to transport you to your island paradise."
- Best for Beaches Because: The Green Coast of Rio de Janeiro State is home to spectacular unspoiled beaches and verdant islands.
- Best for Romantic Things to Do Because: A side trip to Ilha Grande or Paraty will allow couples to escape the city swelter and enjoy blissful beaches.
- Best for Things to Do in December Because: For a little respite from the city swelter during holiday high season, head to the beaches along the beautiful Costa Verde.
- Best for Outdoor Activities Because: Boat rides along the beautiful Costa Verde - Green Coast - allow for diving, snorkelling and swimming.
- Best for Tours and Excursions Because: The Costa Verde is home to one of Rio´s most beautiful islands - Ilha Grande, and the perfectly-preserved colonial town of Paraty.