Explore Rio de Janeiro
Also Featured In
Cuisine: American, Burger
Price Range: $$
Aimed squarely at North Americans with a hankering for taste of their homeland, Gringo Cafe does a roaring trade in US Diner-style favorites such as hash browns, bottomless coffees, pancakes, waffles... Read More
Aimed squarely at North Americans with a hankering for taste of their homeland, Gringo Cafe does a roaring trade in US Diner-style favorites such as hash browns, bottomless coffees, pancakes, waffles and French toast, as well as delicious cakes, milkshakes and cheese burgers made with imported American cheese. The breakfasts, served all day, are manna from heaven for many homesick ex-pats, who can indulge a craving for bacon, eggs made any way you choose, while mains such as mac & cheese and spaghetti with meatballs also help to keep homesickness pangs at bay. A couple of blocks back from the beach, Gringo Cafe is also popular with wealthy locals keen to experience a taste of North America, but the English-speaking staff mean that bedazzled visitors to the city can relax and put the phrase book away here.
- Ipanema's Best Restaurants: "The breakfasts - served all day - are the stars of the show here"
- Brunch: "The muffins, cooked breakfasts and burgers here are all good, but the bagels don't quite hit the mark."
- Breakfast: "The all-day breakfasts are the perfect hangover cure if you've overdone it on the caipirinhas the night before."
- Breakfast/Brunch, Vegetarian: "The breakfasts - served all day - are the stars of the show here"
- Group Friendly: "This is one of very few places in Rio to serve Bloody Mary cocktails, and the ones here are very good."
- Family Friendly: "This is perhaps the only place in Rio serving bottomless coffee, so make the most of it."
- Best for Ipanema's Best Restaurants Because: Yummy food and good Bloody Mary cocktails make this a good spot to start a night out in Ipanema
- Best for Brunch Because: Gringo Cafe offers North Americans a taste of home, with all-day breakfasts and endless coffee refills.
- Best for Breakfast Because: Gringo Cafe's breakfasts are a huge hit with Rio's ex-pat Americans, and have won locals over too.
- Best for Breakfast/Brunch Because: The all-day breakfasts at Gringo Cafe will satisfy any craving for US-style comfort food
- Best for Vegetarian Because: There are plenty of meat-free cakes and breakfast options at this popular Ipanema hangout.
- Best for Group Friendly Because: Gringo Cafe is a popular choice for social events amont Rio's ex-pat community, but attracts locals too.
- Best for Family Friendly Because: If the kids are pining for a good old American breakfast, this is the place to come.