Explore Rio de Janeiro
Ipanema Hippie Fair
Type: Local Picks, Markets
Held every Sunday for well over six decades, Ipanema's 'Feira Hippie' is a real Rio institution. The name 'hippie fair' may conjure up images of flowing kaftans and incense sticks, but this colorful... Read More
Held every Sunday for well over six decades, Ipanema's 'Feira Hippie' is a real Rio institution. The name 'hippie fair' may conjure up images of flowing kaftans and incense sticks, but this colorful market, held in Ipanema each Sunday for some 60-plus years, is in fact a great place to pick up everything from local arts and crafts to fashion finds. Set aside a good few hours to browse all the stalls and don't be afraid to bargain with sellers - you can often bag a bargain if you buy more than one item from the same stall. Eagle-eyed shoppers will be able to find everything from vintage designer shades to hand-made dresses in funky fabrics.
Praça General Osório
Rio de Janeiro, 20410-020
- Best Shopping, Christmas Shopping, Ipanema's Best Shopping, Shopping near Cruise Port: "Don't be tempted to buy keepsakes from the first stall you come too - you may find better bargains elsewhere."
- Recommended as Best Shopping Because: The Hippie Fair is a wonderful place to encounter Ipanema´s artistic side.
- Best for Christmas Shopping Because: The Hippie Fair is packed with stalls selling arts, crafts and clothing, all of which make great Christmas gifts.
- Best for Ipanema's Best Shopping Because: A visit to the legendary hippie fair is practically obligatory for keen shoppers visiting Rio.
- Best for Shopping near Cruise Port Because: A visit to this colorful fair can be combined with sunbathing at Ipanema beach.