Explore Rio de Janeiro
Arcos da Lapa
Along with the beaches, the Christ statue and Sugar Loaf mountain, another postcard-perfect image of Rio are the mammoth white arches that stand in city's historic center. At night, revelers gather... Read More
Along with the beaches, the Christ statue and Sugar Loaf mountain, another postcard-perfect image of Rio are the mammoth white arches that stand in city's historic center. At night, revelers gather below the arches as a huge street party unfurls - head here on a Friday night to see Rio's party spirit at its liveliest. The area around the arches is taken over by hundreds of stalls selling all manner of tempting treats to eat and drink, from fresh-baked pizzas and beers to Northeastern acaraje and fruity-but-potent cocktails. Surrounded by bars and clubs pumping out everything from hip hop and favela funk to samba and pagode, the Arcos da Lapa are the starting point for many a memorable night out in Rio.
Arcos da Lapa, Rua dos Arcos
Rio de Janeiro, 20230-110
- Lapa's Best Nightlife, Dance Clubs, Nightlife near Estádio do Maracanã, Best Nightlife, Live Music: "Keep valuables hidden and don't bring cameras here at night - while safety has improved in recent years, Lapa's street party continues to attract petty thieves."
- Best for Lapa's Best Nightlife Because: Lapa's whitewashed arches are the backdrop for the liveliest street party in the city.
- Best for Dance Clubs Because: This is far and away the liveliest place to be after midnight on a Friday in Rio.
- Best for Nightlife near Estádio do Maracanã Because: This is far and away the liveliest spot for Rio nightlife, and attracts thousands of partiers at weekends.
- Recommended as Best Nightlife Because: Lapa is the hedonistic heart of nocturnal Rio, and no partier should leave Rio without a visit to the street party.
- Best for Live Music Because: This raucous street party hosts large-scale official events as well as impromptu performances from talented local musicians.
Find the 10Best nearby: