Explore Rio de Janeiro
Also Featured In
Photo courtesy of Lucy Bryson
An eye-catching - if somewhat weather-beaten - art deco building is the setting for some of the longest-standing samba parties in Rio at this much-loved venue. Clube dos Democraticos was founded over... Read More
An eye-catching - if somewhat weather-beaten - art deco building is the setting for some of the longest-standing samba parties in Rio at this much-loved venue. Clube dos Democraticos was founded over a century ago as a carnival society uniting musicians, dancers and others imbued with carnival spirit. Today, the club continues to attract live music lovers, with regular samba sessions packing out the vast dancefloor. For a change of musical scene, it's worth checking out the Wednesday night Forro sessions - this popular weekly event is a great place to get aquainted with this sultry musical style from Brazil's northeast. And if you can't dance a step, don't worry - the fleet-footed locals will be happy to show you a move or two.
- Best for Night Clubs Because: One of Rio's oldest live music venues, Clube dos Democraticos hosts top quality samba and forro bands.
- Best for Dance Clubs Because: This Lapa institution has been attracting serious dancers for decaades, and the art-deco building is a draw in itself.
- Best for Lapa's Best Nightlife Because: Clube dos Democraticos is one of the best-loved live music venues in Rio.
- Best for Nightlife near Estádio do Maracanã Because: A classic Rio nightspot, Democraticos features top-notch live music and attracts some seriously good dancers.
- Recommended as Best Nightlife Because: Studio RJ is one of the best spots in the city to hear old-school Brazilian jazz and MPB
- Best for Live Music Because: A true classic on Rio's live music scene, Clube dos Democraticus attracts top live samba bands.