Explore Rio de Janeiro
Christ the Redeemer and Corcovado Mountain
Type: Attractions, Great Views, Religious Sites, Sightseeing
No trip to Rio would be complete without a trip to see the art deco Cristo, and the views from the feet of this most iconic of statues are truly breathtaking. One of the Seven Modern Wonders of the... Read More
No trip to Rio would be complete without a trip to see the art deco Cristo, and the views from the feet of this most iconic of statues are truly breathtaking. One of the Seven Modern Wonders of the World, the statue stands 38 meters tall atop Corcovado, or 'hunchback' mountain - which at 710 meters is the highest peak in this city of rugged mountains. While minibus trips run up to the statue, the best way to make the ascent is to ride the funicular railway. As the little red train climbs through the jungle-clad hills, leaving sweeping vistas in its wake, it's not uncommon for live samba bands to entertain passengers.
- Romantic Things to Do: "Book online if you intend to take the cog railway to the top - otherwise you'll stand in long lines to buy tickets as well as to board the train."
- Things to Do in December, Things to Do with Kids, Best Attractions & Activities, Outdoor Activities, Tours and Excursions, Sightseeing: "While there are walking trails up to the Christ Statue, it is not safe to walk up unless you are with a group and an experienced guide"
- Best for Romantic Things to Do Because: The jaw-dropping views make a perfect backdrop to romantic photographs.
- Best for Things to Do in December Because: A trip to see the Christ statue, and take in the views, will add a dazzling touch to any holiday in Rio.
- Best for Things to Do with Kids Because: The funicular railway ride up to the top of Corcovado, a steep climb through thick jungle, is great fun.
- Recommended as Best Attractions & Activities Because: Rio's Christ statue is officially one of the seven modern wonders of the world, and the views from its base are magnificent.
- Best for Outdoor Activities Because: Hardy types can take organised hikes through the jungle up to the legendary statue on his mountaintop perch.
- Best for Tours and Excursions Because: Christ the Redeemer is officially one of the Seven Modern Wonders of the World.
- Best for Sightseeing Because: Rio's World Famous Christ Statue is officially one of the Seven New Wonders of the World.
Find the 10Best nearby: