Explore Rio de Janeiro
Photo courtesy of Lucy Bryson
Type: Active, Family Friendly, Free Attractions, Outdoor Activities, Outdoor Activities - Summer
- Beaches: "The farthest end from Ipanema, known as Leme, is the quietest, most family-friendly spot to sunbathe, and can offer a little elbow room even when the rest of the beach is packed out."
- Things to Do with Kids, Best Attractions & Activities, Outdoor Activities, Sightseeing: "Give a polite but firm shake of the head to the many beach vendors if you don't want to buy their wares - some can be pushy if they think there's a chance of a sale."
- Best for Beaches Because: Copacabana is one of the most famous beaches in the world, and this ravishing beach beauty offers a dramatic mountain backdrop an unlimited people-watching possibilities.
- Best for Things to Do with Kids Because: At the eastern end of the beach, known as Leme, parents can rent paddling pools for their kids to splash in.
- Recommended as Best Attractions & Activities Because: Rio de Janeiro is arguable the world's most famous beach, and is worth a visit for the people-watching alone.
- Best for Outdoor Activities Because: Copacabana beach attracts soccer players, volleyball enthusiasts, runners and other sporty types.
- Best for Sightseeing Because: Copacabana Beach is arguably the most famous stretch of sand in the world.