Explore Rio de Janeiro
Type: Active, Family Friendly, Free Attractions, Outdoor Activities, Outdoor Activities - Summer
Copacabana was once synonymous with glitz and glamor in Rio, and while it's now somewhat overshadowed in the chic stakes by neighboring Ipanema, it's still gloriously beautiful. The soft curve of... Read More
Copacabana was once synonymous with glitz and glamor in Rio, and while it's now somewhat overshadowed in the chic stakes by neighboring Ipanema, it's still gloriously beautiful. The soft curve of white sand stretches for some five kilometers, framed by the magnificent figure of Sugar Loaf mountain in the background. Vendors stroll the sands selling everything from kangas (sarongs) and bikinis to sandwiches and ice cream, while the beach kiosks along the beachfront are relaxed places for sandy-footed drinking and dining. Copacabana beach is also the location for one of the world´s greatest New Year´s parties, with the sands packed each December 31 for a night of live music, revelry, and spectacular fireworks.
- Beaches: "The farthest end from Ipanema, known as Leme, is the quietest, most family-friendly spot to sunbathe, and can offer a little elbow room even when the rest of the beach is packed out."
- Things to Do with Kids, Best Attractions & Activities, Outdoor Activities, Sightseeing: "Give a polite but firm shake of the head to the many beach vendors if you don't want to buy their wares - some can be pushy if they think there's a chance of a sale."
- Best for Beaches Because: Copacabana is one of the most famous beaches in the world, and this ravishing beach beauty offers a dramatic mountain backdrop an unlimited people-watching possibilities.
- Best for Things to Do with Kids Because: At the eastern end of the beach, known as Leme, parents can rent paddling pools for their kids to splash in.
- Recommended as Best Attractions & Activities Because: Rio de Janeiro is arguable the world's most famous beach, and is worth a visit for the people-watching alone.
- Best for Outdoor Activities Because: Copacabana beach attracts soccer players, volleyball enthusiasts, runners and other sporty types.
- Best for Sightseeing Because: Copacabana Beach is arguably the most famous stretch of sand in the world.