Explore Rio de Janeiro
Also Featured In
Photo courtesy of Lucy Bryson
Rio de Janeiro´s city beaches are famous the world over, and with good reason. But if you´ve been partying hard during your Rio vacation and are feeling the need for a little rest and relaxation in... Read More
Rio de Janeiro´s city beaches are famous the world over, and with good reason. But if you´ve been partying hard during your Rio vacation and are feeling the need for a little rest and relaxation in more tranquil surrounds, the Costa Verde beckons. This paradisiacal stretch of coastline takes in innumerous beaches and more islands than one could count - the Costa Verde town of Ilha Grande is in itself surrouned by 365 islands. The largest of these is the vast nature reserve of Ilha Grande, whose history as a prison for dangerous criminals and, before that, a leper colony, have not stopped visitors from flocking here in the search for isolated beaches surrounded by wild palms and chattering monkeys, as opposed to the high rise hotels of Copacabana. Of the beaches on Ilha Grande, Lopes Mendes is the most dramatically beautiful with its white sands and lapping waves.
Rio de Janeiro,
- Romantic Things to Do, Outdoor Activities: "The main points of interest along the Costa Verde are Mangaratiba, Angra dos Reis and Ilha Grande. Boats depart from Angra dos Reis each afternoon and take around two hours. Should you miss the official ferry, there are scores of fishing boats on hand to transport you to your island paradise."
- Holiday Attractions, Beaches, Tours and Excursions: "Official ferries leave for Ilha Grande once a day from the seaside town of Angra dos Reis, but it's faster to get a fishing boat from nearby Conceicao de Jacarei, which can be reached by coach or group transfer from Rio."
- Best for Romantic Things to Do Because: A side trip to Ilha Grande or Paraty will allow couples to escape the city swelter and enjoy blissful beaches.
- Best for Holiday Attractions Because: For a little respite from the city swelter during holiday high season, head to the beaches along the beautiful Costa Verde.
- Best for Beaches Because: The Green Coast of Rio de Janeiro State is home to spectacular unspoiled beaches and verdant islands.
- Best for Outdoor Activities Because: Boat rides along the beautiful Costa Verde - Green Coast - allow for diving, snorkelling and swimming.
- Best for Tours and Excursions Because: The Costa Verde is home to one of Rio´s most beautiful islands - Ilha Grande, and the perfectly-preserved colonial town of Paraty.