Explore Rio de Janeiro
Also Featured In
While Copacabana wins out as the most picture-perfect city beach in Rio, Ipanema is another dazzling beach beauty and considered the more chic of the two neighboring strands. With fewer high rise... Read More
While Copacabana wins out as the most picture-perfect city beach in Rio, Ipanema is another dazzling beach beauty and considered the more chic of the two neighboring strands. With fewer high rise hotels than Copacabana, Ipanema is the ideal place to while away the hours just working on that tan and watching the beautiful people glide by. There are scores of kiosks selling tempting food and drink, too. The towering twin peaks of the Dois Irmaos (two brothers) mountains frame the beach scene in spectacular fashion, and sunseekers can stroll along the sands to surf-friendly Arpoador beach at the eastern end, and chic Leblon at the Western end.
- Beaches: "Want to arrange to meet someone at the beach? Tell them which 'posto' - lifeguard post - you will be close to. These numbered posts informally divide the beach into spaces for the young and hip, for families, for sporty types...In Ipanema, the most famous is Posto Nove (lifeguard post 9), hangout of choice for a young, flirty crowd."
- Romantic Things to Do: "Rio's beaches are its social spaces - singles shouldn't be afraid to try out their Portuguese (just make sure that boy or girl from Ipanema isn't already accompanied before you try out your lines!)"
- Things to Do with Kids: "Fool any would-be beach thief by putting valuables inside a (clean!) diaper, and rolling it up to resemble a used one."
- Spas, Best Attractions & Activities, Outdoor Activities, Sightseeing: "Rio's beaches are its social spaces - don't be afraid to try out your Portuguese if somebody catches your eye on the beach, just make sure they're not already accompanied before you try out your lines!"
- Best for Beaches Because: Considered chicer than neighboring Copacabana, mountain-flanked Ipanema is the hangout of choice for Rio's young and beautiful.
- Best for Romantic Things to Do Because: Sunbathe, sip a coconut water and just watch the beautiful people glide by. You'll feel fabulous by association!
- Best for Things to Do with Kids Because: Ipanema beach resembles a giant sandy playground, and the beach kiosks sell easy eats such as fries and toasted sandwiches.
- Best for Spas Because: Massage chairs line the beachfront, offering a chance to relax and unwind against a backdrop of crashing waves and white sands.
- Recommended as Best Attractions & Activities Because: If you're imagining spectacularly beautiful people lounging on an equally spectacular Rio beach, you're probably thinking of Ipanema.
- Best for Outdoor Activities Because: Sporty types flock here to play soccer, handball, volleyball and a host of other athletic pursuits.
- Best for Sightseeing Because: Beautiful views and beautiful people abound at this legendary beach.