Explore Rio de Janeiro
Type: Architecture, Art & Culture, Countryside, Cultural Venues, Day Trips
There's more to Rio de Janeiro than its beaches, and the artistic heart of the city can be found up in the jungle-clad hills of Santa Teresa. Here, pastel-colored colonial mansions have been... Read More
There's more to Rio de Janeiro than its beaches, and the artistic heart of the city can be found up in the jungle-clad hills of Santa Teresa. Here, pastel-colored colonial mansions have been converted into bucolic bars, friendly guest houses, artists' studios and some of the best restaurants in Rio, and the lofty location makes for some terrific views over the city. Start your visit to Santa Teresa at Largo do Guimaraes, the busy square at the start of the city, and follow the steep cobbled streets to discover vintage clothes stores, bustling drinking dens and some of the friendliest locals in the city.
Rio de Janeiro,
- Romantic Things to Do, Things to Do with Kids, Best Attractions & Activities, Tours and Excursions, Family-Friendly Museums, Museums, Attractions near Cruise Port: "Head to Santa Teresa on a sunny Sunday afternoon to catch craft fairs, street samba and a welcome change from the packed beaches of the Zona Sul."
- Best for Romantic Things to Do Because: The cobbled streets and grand mansion houses of Santa Teresa make this a lovely spot exploring, and there are lots of options for romantic dining.
- Best for Things to Do with Kids Because: The little yellow tram that rattles over the cobbled streets is great fun for kids and adults alike.
- Recommended as Best Attractions & Activities Because: This breezy hilltop neighborhood has a small village feel and is home to some of the finest colonial buildings in Rio.
- Best for Tours and Excursions Because: Coming to Santa Teresa is literally a breath of fresh air - mountain breezes temper the tropical heat in this hipster hangout.
- Best for Family-Friendly Museums Because: Santa Teresa is a veritable open-air museum, packed as it is with historic mansion houses.
- Best for Museums Because: With its cobbled streets and old mansions, Santa Teresa is a living museum showcasing Rio's colonial past.
- Best for Attractions near Cruise Port Because: Santa Teresa is home to Rio's most impressive colonial architecture.
Find the 10Best nearby: