Explore Rio de Janeiro
Pedra do Sal
Type: Live Music, Local Picks
Forget quiet Monday nights - in Rio the start of the week is all about the Roda da Samba (live samba party) at Pedra do Sal, in the historic Saude neighborhood of the city. Nicknamed 'Little Africa'... Read More
Forget quiet Monday nights - in Rio the start of the week is all about the Roda da Samba (live samba party) at Pedra do Sal, in the historic Saude neighborhood of the city. Nicknamed 'Little Africa' because of the large numbers of freed-slaves who moved into the area, this traditional neighborhood is a little off the tourist track, but a Monday must-visit for music lovers and partiers. Revelers gather around a giant flat rock (the 'Pedra' that gives the spot its name) which becomes a makeshift dancefloor as the music works its magic. There's no entry fee, drinks - courtesy of street vendors - are cheap, and the music is top-notch.
R. Argemiro Bulcao, 1 - Saúde
Rio de Janeiro,
- Dance Clubs: "Don't bother heading here if the heavens open - rain stops play at this outdoor festa"
- Best Nightlife: "There are a handful of good bar-restaurants nearby, which can be handy if the weather takes a turn for the worse."
- Live Music: "Don't head here if it rains - the outdoor setting means the party is cancelled if the heavens open."
- Best for Dance Clubs Because: Live jazz and samba here has the assembled hordes on their feet at weekends.
- Recommended as Best Nightlife Because: The Monday night Roda de Samba at Pedra do Sal is legendary among Rio partiers.
- Best for Live Music Because: Pedra do Sal is one of Rio's liveliest street parties and a top spot for live samba