Explore Rio de Janeiro
Also Featured In
Feira Nordestina de Sao Cristovao
Cuisine: Brazilian, Latin, Local Specialty, South American
Price Range: $$
It doesn't feature on many tourist itineraries, but foodies in Rio should be sure to pay a visit to this vast market dedicated to all things Northeastern. A huge, purpose built space housing hundreds... Read More
It doesn't feature on many tourist itineraries, but foodies in Rio should be sure to pay a visit to this vast market dedicated to all things Northeastern. A huge, purpose built space housing hundreds of food and drinks stalls and restaurants alongside craft and clothing stores, the 'Feira Nordestina' is a great place to sample the often-spicy cuisine from the arid north of the country. Those who find food in Rio to be a little bland may want to sample some of the many colorful chili peppers and pepper sauces here, while seafood fans are well catered for too. Eating opportunities range from quick snacks on the hoof to hearty meals served from heaving buffets, many of which serve food priced by its weight, not its type - meaning that 100 grams of lobster could cost the same as 100 grams of white rice.
- Restaurants near Estádio do Maracanã, Best Value, Family Friendly, Street Food, Late Night, Homestyle: "The fair is at its liveliest over the weekends, when it opens on Friday morning and does not close until Sunday evening. Take a taxi to and from here after dark, as the surrounding area is a little seedy."
- Best for Restaurants near Estádio do Maracanã Because: This lively fair is within easy reach of Maracana stadium and offers a wealth of treats from Northeastern Brazil
- Recommended as Best Value Because: The Northeastern Fair is a good chance to try Northeastern dishes at reasonable prices.
- Best for Family Friendly Because: Local families flock to this lively fair, which offers many inexpensive dining options and colorful stalls to browse.
- Best for Street Food Because: The numerous food stalls here provide a taste of Northeastern treats such as acaraje.
- Best for Late Night Because: The fair's many restaurants are open from Friday morning right through to Sunday evening.
- Best for Homestyle Because: There are countless simple spots serving hearty Bahian cuisine at this Northeastern fair.