Explore Rio de Janeiro
Also Featured In
Cafe do Alto
Cuisine: Brazilian, Latin, South American
Price Range: $
Occupying a corner building on Santa Teresa's liveliest square - Largo do Guimaraes - Cafe do Alto has carved out a reputation for serving delicious dishes at fair prices, in a wonderfully colorful... Read More
Occupying a corner building on Santa Teresa's liveliest square - Largo do Guimaraes - Cafe do Alto has carved out a reputation for serving delicious dishes at fair prices, in a wonderfully colorful setting. The emphasis is on food from Brazil's Northeast, but but avoids the stodginess that sometimes weighs down Nordestino cooking. Light dishes include tapioca panckaes filled with everything from tomato and marinated tomatoes or shredded jerk beef, to sweet versions filled with fruit and curd cheese; while recommended mains include moqueca - a typical seafood stew, here adapted to include veggie friendly versions made with palm heart or yucca. There are abundant breakfast options, and the weekend breakfast buffet - which runs until 1pm - is the ideal hangover cure for anybody who partied hard in nearby Lapa the night before. Service is attentive, the decor is cheery and the cafe scores major parental brownie points for its kid-friendly menu and drawing materials.
- Santa Teresa's Best Restaurants, Brunch, Best Restaurants, Breakfast/Brunch, Best Value: "There's a good - if pricey - range of wines, along with an extensive craft beer selection and yummy batidas (mixture of fruit, condensed milk and sugar cane rum)."
- Breakfast: "The enormous weekend breakfast buffet is the perfect way to recover from a a big night out in nearby Lapa."
- Best for Santa Teresa's Best Restaurants Because: Cafe do Alto serves great food at very fair prices, in one of Santa Teresa's liveliest locations.
- Best for Brunch Because: This place serves enormous, and delicious, breakfast spreads that will cure any caipirinha-induced hangover
- Best for Breakfast Because: Cafe do Alto has a huge menu of sweet and savory breakfast dishes, and the funky decor means breakfast here is always a treat
- Best for Breakfast/Brunch Because: The weekend buffet breakfast/brunch at Cafe do Alto is a hearty feast of Northeastern specialties