Explore Los Angeles
Also Featured In
Photo courtesy of Wikimedia Commons
If you believe, like Colonel Griffith J. Griffith, in the transformative power of observation, then the Griffith Observatory is the L.A. museum for you and your children. Located in the park that also... Read More
If you believe, like Colonel Griffith J. Griffith, in the transformative power of observation, then the Griffith Observatory is the L.A. museum for you and your children. Located in the park that also bears that philanthropist's name, the observatory was recently renovated completely (it originally opened in 1935), but it still offers free public telescope viewing on every clear night in the city. Look up into the universe with the historic Zeiss telescope, the historic coelostat (solar telescope) or the portable telescopes on the lawn and a whole new perspective opens up. Be sure to visit the Samuel Oschin Planetarium for one of the in-depth shows, but note that there is an admission fee for those. Everything else, including parking, is free at the Griffith Observatory.
- Tue-Fri: Noon-10pm
- Sat-Sun: 10am-10pm
- Planetarium Show Adult $8; Child (5-12) $4
Observatory Building Free
- Things to Do with Kids, Romantic Things to Do, Museums: "Be sure to be in line for one of the outdoor telescopes well before 9:30 p.m. or you may not get a glimpse of the stars up close."
- Sightseeing: "Go for the free Public Star Party held one Saturday each month to see the sky through massive telescopes with guidance from knowledgeable astronomers."
- Best for Things to Do with Kids Because: Fascinating shows about the universe combine with a chance to take a hike in the hills, giving budding astronomers a perfect day in the park
- Best for Romantic Things to Do Because: The night sky above, the city lights below and a telescope to help you see the stars – that's the romance of the Griffith Observatory!
- Best for Sightseeing Because: Day or night, the Griffith Observatory offers spectacular views of the whole city, as well as up-close looks at the stars above.
- Best for Museums Because: The skies literally open up to lovers of astronomy at this iconic landmark museum located in the heart of Griffith Park.