Explore Los Angeles
Also Featured In
Photo courtesy of Wikimedia Commons
Type: Planetarium / Observatory
Head for the hills as the sun begins to set and you'll find one of L.A.'s most breathtaking spots for sparking a bit of love. The Griffith Observatory sits above the city in Griffith Park, the place... Read More
Head for the hills as the sun begins to set and you'll find one of L.A.'s most breathtaking spots for sparking a bit of love. The Griffith Observatory sits above the city in Griffith Park, the place Ryan Gosling and Emma Stone visited during their cinematic romance in "LA LA Land" and a wonderful spot for real-life lovers to take in the city views and look to the night sky. The observatory was recently renovated completely (it originally opened in 1935), and it still offers free public telescope viewing on every clear night in the city. Look up into the universe with the historic Zeiss telescope, the coelostat (solar telescope) or the portable telescopes on the lawn and a whole new perspective opens up. Visit the Samuel Oschin Planetarium for an in-depth show; there is an admission fee for those. Everything else, including parking, is free at the Griffith Observatory.
- Tue-Fri: Noon-10pm
- Sat-Sun: 10am-10pm
- Planetarium Show Adult $8; Child (5-12) $4
Observatory Building Free
- Romantic Things to Do, Things to Do with Kids, Museums: "Be sure to be in line for one of the outdoor telescopes well before 9:30 p.m. or you may not get a glimpse of the stars up close."
- Sightseeing: "Go for the free Public Star Party held one Saturday each month to see the sky through massive telescopes with guidance from knowledgeable astronomers."
- Best for Romantic Things to Do Because: The night sky above, the city lights below and a telescope to help you see the stars â" that's the romance of the Griffith Observatory!
- Best for Things to Do with Kids Because: Fascinating shows about the universe combine with a chance to take a hike in the hills, giving budding astronomers a perfect day in the park.
- Best for Sightseeing Because: Day or night, the Griffith Observatory offers spectacular views of the whole city, as well as up-close looks at the stars above.
- Best for Museums Because: The skies literally open up to lovers of astronomy at this iconic landmark museum located in the heart of Griffith Park.