Explore Palm Springs
Also Featured In
Who needs mass produced homes and traditional building materials? When homesteader Yerxa Cabot settled in Desert Hot Springs, he used natural materials and a little ingenuity to build a home so unique... Read More
Who needs mass produced homes and traditional building materials? When homesteader Yerxa Cabot settled in Desert Hot Springs, he used natural materials and a little ingenuity to build a home so unique it remains a preserved museum to this day. While the structure's architecture is a unique sight to behold, there's more to see here than Cabot's Hopi-style pueblo. Inside, the house has been turned into a museum with rooms filled with Indian artifacts, artwork and memorabilia. One artifact you shouldn't miss is Waokiye, a 43-foot sculpture of a Native American head. Waokiye is one of 74 heads in the "Trail of the Whispering Giants" collection and the only on left in California.
67-616 E Desert View Ave
Desert Hot Springs, CA 92240
- Oct - May Daily 9am-4pm
- Tours Adult (13-64) $10; Senior (65+) $8; Military $8; Child (6-12) $8
- Museums, Sightseeing: "Around the corner from the museum, you can visit Miracle Hill. This is where Cabot first found both hot and cold water aquifers running underground."
- Best Attractions & Activities: "Cabot was more than just a homesteader; he also discovered the natural aquifers for which the spa town of Desert Hot Springs was named. After touring the museum, experience Cabot's discoveries for yourself with a trip to one of the city's renowned hot springs spas."
- Best for Museums Because: Cabot's Pueblo Museum is a surviving testament to the perseverance of America's original homesteaders. Today, it encapsulates Desert Hot Springs' earliest history.
- Recommended as Best Attractions & Activities Because: Cabot's Pueblo Museum is a historic home in Desert Hot Springs, showcasing the desert's history and the art of homesteading.
- Best for Sightseeing Because: Cabot's Pueblo Museum is a one-of-a-kind homestead and historic monument in Desert Hot Springs.