Explore Palm Springs
Palm Springs Art Museum
Type: Art Museums, Museums
The Palm Springs Art Museum has seen many transformations since its inception in 1938. Originally focused on the desert environment and the native Cahuilla people, the museum is now dedicated to both... Read More
The Palm Springs Art Museum has seen many transformations since its inception in 1938. Originally focused on the desert environment and the native Cahuilla people, the museum is now dedicated to both the region's indigenous culture and contemporary art, having hosted exhibits by the likes of Pablo Picasso and Dale Chihuly. Palm Springs' modern flair is encapsulated in PSAM's building, which is a Modernist structure designed by E. Stewart Williams. More than 24,000 objects and artifacts call PSAM home, including fine art, photography archives and fossils. The museum's onsite performance venue, the Annenberg Theater, hosts various musicals, plays, concerts and other performances throughout the year. In 2012, the museum opened a second location in neighboring Palm Desert. The second location features modern architecture and four exhibit galleries.
- Fri-Tue: 10am-5pm
- Thu: Noon-8pm
- Adult $14; Senior (62+) $11; Student $6; Military Free; Child (18 and under) Free
- Museums, Sightseeing, Romantic Things to Do: "Drop by on Thursday afternoons or the second Sunday of each month for free admission."
- Best Attractions & Activities: "Drop by the Palm Springs Art Museum on the second Sunday of the month or on Thursdays after 4 p.m. to enjoy complementary admission to both the museum and any scheduled activities. Combine the Thursday free admission offer with a trip to Villagefest, downtown's weekly street fair, for a budget-friendly night in Palm Springs."
- Free Things to Do: "Head to the Palm Desert location to enjoy a free outdoor sculpture garden with 10 installations and lush landscaping."
- Best for Museums Because: The Palm Springs Art Museum is home to both world-class contemporary art and cultural pieces that reflect the desert's native past.
- Recommended as Best Attractions & Activities Because: The Palm Springs Art Museum boasts more than 24,000 objects and artifacts in a mid-century modern building that embodies the essence of Palm Springs.
- Best for Sightseeing Because: The Palm Springs Art Museum offers a look at historic desert artifacts and contemporary artwork, as well as mid-century modern architecture.
- Best for Romantic Things to Do Because: Palm Springs Art Museum boasts a collection of more than 24,000 artifacts and art pieces, the perfect romantic outing for artsy couples.
- Best for Free Things to Do Because: The Palm Springs Art Museum offers free admission to art and cultural exhibits at both locations on Thursday afternoons and the second Sunday each month.