The energy of a live band is contagious, especially when the entire experience is interactive. Rock Out Karaoke is much more than your average band. Show guests are encouraged to get up on stage and sing popular songs while they, literally, rock out. Their name makes sense now, doesn't it?
Rock Out Karaoke's cult following in San Diego is due to the fact that guests rave about being part of the show versus just watching it. Lyrics are provided on a monitor in real time, so there's no need to fear becoming so overwhelmed with joy that you forget the words. Song choices run the gamut from your favorite hair band to country, so be prepared to belt out AC/DC, Jimmy Buffett, Katy Perry and more.
A guest sings with the band — Photo courtesy of Rock Out Karaoke
Feeling intimidated? Don't be. Rock Out Karaoke offers the following tips for singing with a live band:
1. Own the stage - even if you've never been on one - as the audience will respond to your energy whether your singing ability is there or not.
2. Choose a song that you know, in order to focus on owning the stage.
3. Drink just enough for a little liquid courage. Sloppy performances are never great to watch.
4. Bring a cheering section to squash last-minute jitters and clap no matter what.
5. Connect with the audience by making eye contact. Don't sing into space.
6. Stick to the song's actual lyrics, because that's what the audience is familiar with.
7. Practice makes perfect. The more you sing with a live band, the better you'll get at it.
In case you're wondering what the number one most requested live band karaoke song is, Rock Out Karaoke says it's "Don't Stop Believin'" by Journey. Choosing this popular number is likely to get the room moving without much effort from you, right? Pressure relieved.
Rock Out Karaoke band has been around since 2006 and plays monthly at local venues such as the 710 Beach Club in Pacific Beach and JT's Pub in Mission Valley. They've also played at the San Diego County Fair, an annual pub crawl put on by The Local and celebrity private parties. The House of Blues in downtown San Diego is one of their frequently-booked venues for private events, too.
To book Rock Out Karaoke for your wedding or other private event, contact them directly. Be sure to check their website for more public show dates. Laughs and fun are guaranteed, while you check singing with a live band off your life list.