Explore San Diego
Also Featured In
Bertrand at Mr. A's
Cuisine: American, Continental, New American
Price Range: $$$
Bertrand at Mr. A's just might be one of the best places to enjoy a skyline view of downtown San Diego, Coronado, Balboa Park and Point Loma, with the occasional plane landing or taking off from the... Read More
Bertrand at Mr. A's just might be one of the best places to enjoy a skyline view of downtown San Diego, Coronado, Balboa Park and Point Loma, with the occasional plane landing or taking off from the airport. The sunsets are spectacular and part of the reason why this restaurant is perpetually voted one of the most romantic places to eat in the city. However, its casual elegance is also welcoming to families. Leave your jacket and tie at home. Dressy jeans and business casual are now appropriate attire here. American cuisine is on the menu though dishes change based on seasonality of locally-sourced ingredients. Chef de Cuisine Stephane Voitzwinkler also infuses his Alsatian German upbringing into beautifully-presented dishes such as spaetzel and house-made sausage. Hearty dishes are balanced out by more healthful California cuisine.
2550 5th Ave
San Diego, CA 92103
- Romantic Dining: "Arrive at sunset to enjoy a pre-dinner drink on the patio terrace."
- Lunch: "Request a table on the patio to enjoy the view and sunshine, though there isn't a bad view from any table."
- Best Restaurants: "Arrive at sunset and enjoy a pre-dinner drink on the patio terrace with sweeping bay, downtown and airport views. Also, word on the street has it that escargot are available, if you ask."
- Best for Romantic Dining Because: The intimate ambiance combined with San Diego's most spectacular view and award-winning cuisine make this the top choice.
- Best for Lunch Because: Again, the view of San Diego is hard to beat and it's an excellent choice for a business lunch.
- Recommended as Best Restaurants Because: In addition to mouth-watering cuisine, this is probably San Diego's most romantic restaurant.