Explore San Diego
Also Featured In
The seaward side of Coronado Island is exceptionally clean with wide stretches of sand. It's considered one of the best beaches in the nation. The northern end, "North Beach", is dog-friendly and... Read More
The seaward side of Coronado Island is exceptionally clean with wide stretches of sand. It's considered one of the best beaches in the nation. The northern end, "North Beach", is dog-friendly and popular for surfing in the summer. The main part, "Central Beach", runs along Ocean Boulevard south to the famous Hotel Del Coronado. Because it is the easiest to get to, it's also the most crowded. Shops and restaurants in downtown Coronado are walkable from here. This is a very family-friendly beach with calm waters due to some protection from a nearby point. The sand also glitters in the water due to a mineral called mica and there's a little tide pool exposed during low tides.
Coronado, CA 92118
- Free Things to Do: "Bring a picnic to spend the day here. Arrive early to find free street parking."
- Romantic Things to Do: "Bring a picnic and spend the day here. Arrive early to take advantage of free parking."
- Things to Do with Kids, Outdoor Activities: "The part of the beach in front of the Hotel Del Coronado can get a bit crowded, however, you can rinse off and take advantage of the hotel's casual, outdoor dining when you get hungry. Kid will love the ice cream at Moo Time Creamery."
- Beaches: "You can dine at the Hotel Del Coronado even if you're not staying there. Just brush off the sand and look presentable (assuming you aren't hauling tons of gear)."
- Best for Free Things to Do Because: This beach is recognized as a top beach by numerous publications for good reasons: convenience, relatively calm water, gorgeous sand and location.
- Best for Romantic Things to Do Because: Go for a stroll on the beach and then have a cocktail or meal at 1500 Ocean. The Hotel Del spa has couples treatments.
- Best for Things to Do with Kids Because: This beach is widely regarded as one of the best in the nation.
- Best for Beaches Because: This beach is recognized as a top beach by numerous publications for good reasons: convenience, relatively calm water and location.
- Best for Outdoor Activities Because: With flat sand that seems to go on for ages, amenities within walking distance and relatively calm water, this beach is a favorite.