Explore San Diego
Type: Historic Sites, Military
Experience what it's like to be a "city at sea" without leaving port. Located at the Broadway Pier on the San Diego Embarcadero, the USS Midway Museum has become one of the city's most popular... Read More
Experience what it's like to be a "city at sea" without leaving port. Located at the Broadway Pier on the San Diego Embarcadero, the USS Midway Museum has become one of the city's most popular attractions since it opened in 2004. Kids and adults alike will find something fascinating to do as they explore this massive aircraft carrier with a 50-year history. Take advantage of the self-guided audio tour free with admission, designed for both adults and kids. Discover the inner workings of this floating city by visiting the crew's sleeping quarters, the engine room, and even the ship's post office and jail. Visit the bridge over the flight deck and enjoy view over San Diego Bay. Climb-in aircraft, flight simulators, and 25 restored vintage aircraft round out the experience.
- Daily 10am-5pm
- Adult $18; Senior (62+) $15; Student $15; Military $10; Child (6-17) $10
- Best Attractions & Activities: "Volunteer museum docents are scattered throughout the ship and are enthusiastic about sharing their knowledge with Midway visitors."
- Family-Friendly Museums, Museums, Attractions near Cruise Port: "Plan to spend time listening to the audio tour or really take in what the docents are saying. It would be a shame to miss out on so much interesting history by quickly walking through."
- Recommended as Best Attractions & Activities Because: The USS Midway gives visitors--especially kids--an appreciation for the military.
- Best for Family-Friendly Museums Because: This is one of the best places to learn about and appreciate the jobs of the enormous military community in San Diego.
- Best for Museums Because: One of America's longest serving aircraft carriers is now a maritime museum. All ages love learning about how sailors lived at sea.
- Best for Attractions near Cruise Port Because: The USS Midway is a quick walk from the cruise port and a great place to gain a sense of military appreciation.