Explore San Diego
Also Featured In
San Diego Zoo
Type: Family Friendly, Zoos
A trip to San Diego isn't complete without a visit to the world-famous San Diego Zoo. During the holidays is a particularly festive time to go. The annual Jungle Bells event offers holiday-themed... Read More
A trip to San Diego isn't complete without a visit to the world-famous San Diego Zoo. During the holidays is a particularly festive time to go. The annual Jungle Bells event offers holiday-themed animal experiences, holiday-themed entertainment, holiday treats and a nightly tree lighting ceremony. Among other special events, a tractor-pulled trolley drives guests around the Zoo in the evening to see the holiday lights. Even Santa makes an appearance. Located in Balboa Park on 100 acres, the Zoo is home to more than 4,000 animals and 800 species, many of them rare or endangered. Jungle Bells runs for three weeks, ending at 8:00 p.m. each evening (with the exception of Christmas Eve when the Zoo closes at 5:00 p.m.).
- Daily 9am-9pm
- Hours May Vary Seasonally
- Adult $37 - $70; Senior $33.30; Child (3-11) $27 - $50; Child (2 and under) Free;
- Things to Do in December: "The Zoo is also a great place to do some holiday shopping."
- Best Attractions & Activities: "The best time to visit the Zoo is in the morning. The gorgeous vegetation shades many of the walking paths and some animals are typically more active."
- Things to Do with Kids, Outdoor Activities: "The best time to visit the Zoo is in the morning. The gorgeous vegetation shades many of the walking paths and the animals are typically active and sometimes enjoying breakfast."
- Best for Things to Do in December Because: Jungle Bells provides a festive opportunity to view the animals at night amid a number of special holiday activities.
- Recommended as Best Attractions & Activities Because: It's world-famous for a reason. The conservation efforts are outstanding and the grounds are beautiful.
- Best for Things to Do with Kids Because: It is by far one of the best zoos in the entire world for conservation efforts and enjoyment during visits.
- Best for Outdoor Activities Because: The most popular attraction in San Diego is also an outdoor one.