Explore San Diego
Also Featured In
There is so much to do here that it's hard to begin and the beach overall is less crowded in fall. It's one of the best beaches to learn surfing, scuba and stand-up-paddle boarding because of the... Read More
There is so much to do here that it's hard to begin and the beach overall is less crowded in fall. It's one of the best beaches to learn surfing, scuba and stand-up-paddle boarding because of the sandy bottom and ease of getting into the ocean. Entry to La Jolla's Underwater Marine Park full of sea life is here. A nice playground, Kellogg Park, offers tots a break from the beach while boot camp, yoga and running enthusiasts have space on the big grassy area to burn calories. Just a few minutes walk away are the shops and restaurants of Avenida de la Playa. And, during low tides in fall, the tide pools near Scripps Pier reveal themselves.
- Things to Do in Fall: "They have a big lot for parking, a kids' playground and a huge grassy area for picnics, too."
- Free Things to Do: "The big (free) parking lot can get crowded on weekends and peak times so arrive early."
- Romantic Things to Do, Beaches: "Parking is tough when the weather is nice, but just get there early. Dogs are allowed on leashes in the morning and evenings (time varies by season)."
- Things to Do with Kids: "Surf Diva in La Jolla Shores will teach kids ages 5 and up how to surf. Parking can get hectic during the summer so get their early to avoid."
- Outdoor Activities: "This is an excellent place to learn how to surf or kayak the La Jolla Caves."
- Best for Things to Do in Fall Because: It's still possible to use the beach in fall and there are tide pools here! Kayak tours, surfing and more still happen.
- Best for Free Things to Do, Outdoor Activities Because: It's one of San Diego's nicest beaches, has a playground for young kids and allows dogs in the evening and early mornings.
- Best for Romantic Things to Do Because: Take a long walk and watch the sunset from one of San Diego's best beaches before or after a dinner at The Marine Room.
- Best for Things to Do with Kids Because: There's plenty of flat sand, waves to surf, an underwater park to explore and then some.
- Best for Beaches Because: Go here for water sports like surfing, kayaking, snorkeling and scuba. Kids love the playground and there's plenty of white sand for lounging, too.