Explore San Francisco
Also Featured In
Photo courtesy of Tom Molanphy
Photo courtesy of used in book
Golden Gate Park
Considered the largest cultivated urban park in the country, this incredible haven boasts more than 1000 acres of gardens, meadows and woodlands. The park stretches three miles inland from the Bay,... Read More
Considered the largest cultivated urban park in the country, this incredible haven boasts more than 1000 acres of gardens, meadows and woodlands. The park stretches three miles inland from the Bay, and within its bounds are the de Young Museum, the Japanese Tea Garden, Strybing Arboretum, the California Academy of Sciences, the Conservatory of Flowers and 27 miles of footpaths. Despite the beauty of its seemingly natural surroundings, the park is entirely man-made. Visitors can spend several days just exploring this rich and diverse park, as well as the Ninth and Irving neighborhood shops and eateries that are very close by.
- Golden Gate Park: Daily Sunrise-8pm
- Visitor's Center: Daily 9am-5pm
- Free entrance; attractions within park may charge fees
- Recommended as Best Attractions & Activities Because: Golden Gate Park is as important to San Franciscans as Central Park is to New Yorkers.
- Best for Free Things to Do Because: Golden Gate Park is a must-see for any visitor, even if it's a quick walk, bike or drive through.
- Best for Parks Because: Golden Gate Park is San Francisco's living lung, offering healthy and vibrant options for kids of all ages.