Explore San Francisco
Swan Oyster Depot
Cuisine: American, Seafood
Price Range: $$
Locals can't help but rave over this oyster bar's fantastic selection. Opened in 1912, Swan Oyster Depot is a small, lovable hole-in-the-wall where seating consists of about 20 stools along a long... Read More
Locals can't help but rave over this oyster bar's fantastic selection. Opened in 1912, Swan Oyster Depot is a small, lovable hole-in-the-wall where seating consists of about 20 stools along a long marble bar. There's usually a line outside at lunchtime, but it moves quickly and the food is well worth your wait. As far as oysters, it's hard to beat this place. You get to watch them picked right out of their brine tanks and shucked before your eyes. Frankly, the whole place smells like oysters, so it's really the best spot for oyster lovers. Grab a few for a mid-day snack or sit for a while until you get a full meal.
- Oyster Bars: "Be sure to try the Kumamoto and Sweetwater oysters."
- Nob Hill's Best Restaurants: "This extremely popular San Francisco institution - Anthony Bourdain always made it a point to slurp some oysters at Swan Oyster Depot when he was in town - has only eighteen bar seats, so be prepared for a wait."
- Seafood: "Simple counter eatery gets raves for ocean-fresh shellfish."
- Best for Oyster Bars Because: Swan Oyster Depot has been serving quality oysters in San Francisco for a long time.
- Best for Nob Hill's Best Restaurants Because: Swan Oyster isn't just a top-flight restaurant - it's a civic institution in San Francisco.
- Best for Seafood Because: Swan Oyster Depot has a cult following because the seafood is so consistently fresh nd good.
Find the 10Best nearby: