Explore San Francisco
Also Featured In
Swan Oyster Depot
Cuisine: American, Seafood
Price Range: $$
For generations, this small eatery has been delighting seafood lovers from all over the city. Distinguished by a marble counter and pull-up stools, the place puts all its attention on fresh shellfish,... Read More
For generations, this small eatery has been delighting seafood lovers from all over the city. Distinguished by a marble counter and pull-up stools, the place puts all its attention on fresh shellfish, especially just-shucked oysters. You can also try clams on the half-shell, cracked crab, lobster, and shrimp, along with a few soups and salads. The place doesn't stand out from the street, so keep your eyes peeled. And if you're around during the lunchtime rush, you'll most likely have to wait. If you're in the mood for a throwback kind of seafood restaurant, where simple style counts, then head to Swan Oyster Depot.
1517 Polk St
San Francisco, CA 94109
- Mon-Sat 8am-5:30pm
- Nob Hill's Best Restaurants: "This extremely popular San Francisco institution - Anthony Bourdain always made it a point to slurp some oysters at Swan Oyster Depot when he was in town - has only eighteen bar seats, so be prepared for a wait."
- Seafood: "Simple counter eatery gets raves for ocean-fresh shellfish."
- Oyster Bars: "Be sure to try the Kumamato and Sweetwater oysters."
- Best for Nob Hill's Best Restaurants Because: Swan Oyster isn't just a top-flight restaurant - it's a civic institution in San Francisco.
- Best for Seafood Because: Swan Oyster Depot has a cult following because the seafood is so consistently fresh nd good.
- Best for Oyster Bars Because: Swan Oyster Depot has been serving quality oysters in San Francisco for a long time.