Explore San Francisco
Type: Historic Sites, Tours and Excursions
Once just an old prison, Alcatraz is enjoying a makeover as a native plant conservatory and historical "must-see." During Alcatraz's 34 years as a prison, most of its inmates were simply high-risk... Read More
Once just an old prison, Alcatraz is enjoying a makeover as a native plant conservatory and historical "must-see." During Alcatraz's 34 years as a prison, most of its inmates were simply high-risk escapees and troublemakers. Still, the prison plays strongly in national memory thanks to infamous residents like Al "Scarface" Capone and Robert "Birdman" Stroud. Tours of the island focus largely on the desolate prison itself, including cell blocks, the cafeteria and the prison yard. If you plan well in advance, you might get a spot on the super popular night tour of Alcatraz. Even if you're not planning on the night tour, get your tickets to this popular tourist destination well ahead of time.
Bay St and The Embarcadero
San Francisco, CA
- Best Attractions & Activities: "If you enjoy the ferry trip to Alcatraz, consider these other ferry rides: Sausalito, Tiburon, and Angel Island."
- Sightseeing: "Alcatraz tours book really fast, so plan your trip as early as possible."
- Family-Friendly Museums: "Alcatraz offers a fantastic night tours for those up for something a bit more spooky."
- Recommended as Best Attractions & Activities Because: Alcatraz is not only an exciting trip but also offers a fascinating history of San Francisco Bay.
- Best for Sightseeing Because: Alcatraz, with its long and fascinating history, is almost synonymous with San Francisco Bay.
- Best for Family-Friendly Museums Because: Although Alcatraz is usually highlighted as a general tourist destination, it's a living history of San Francisco.