Explore San Francisco
Also Featured In
Type: Historic Sites, Tours and Excursions
During Alcatraz's 34 years as a prison, most of its inmates were simply high-risk escapees and troublemakers. Still, the prison plays strongly in national memory thanks to infamous residents like Al... Read More
During Alcatraz's 34 years as a prison, most of its inmates were simply high-risk escapees and troublemakers. Still, the prison plays strongly in national memory thanks to infamous residents like Al "Scarface" Capone and Robert "Birdman" Stroud. An average stay on "The Rock" lasted five years, and although liberties were abbreviated, prisoners were afforded magnificent views of San Francisco and the Golden Gate Bridge. Tours of the island focus largely on the desolate prison itself, including cell blocks, the cafeteria and the prison yard. Spring for the audio version of the tour, and get tickets in advance if at all possible. Booking windows and departure docks can be found at Pier 33.
Bay St and The Embarcadero
San Francisco, CA
- Apr - Oct Daily 9am-4pm
- Nov - Mar Daily 9am-2pm
- Day Tour Adult $26; Senior (62+) $24.50; Child (0-4) Free; Child (5-11) $16; Family $79
Night Tour Adult $33; Senior (62+) $30.50; Child (12-17) $32; Child (5-11) $19.50
- Things to Do with Kids: "Alcatraz now has a garden tour which is ranger-docent led and quite fascinating."
- Best Attractions & Activities: "If you enjoy the ferry trip to Alcatraz, consider these other ferry rides: Sausalito, Tiberon, and Angel Island."
- Sightseeing: "Alcatraz tours book really fast, so plan your trip as early as possible."
- Family-Friendly Museums: "Alcatraz offers a fantastic night tours for those up for something a bit more spooky."
- Best for Things to Do with Kids Because: Kids of all ages will love the ferry ride over to Alcatraz - and that's just the beginning of the adventure.
- Recommended as Best Attractions & Activities Because: Alcatraz is not only an exciting trip but also offers a fascinating history of San Francisco Bay.
- Best for Sightseeing Because: Alcatraz, with its long and fascinating history, is almost synonymous with San Francisco Bay.
- Best for Family-Friendly Museums Because: Although Alcatraz is usually highlighted as a general tourist destination, it's a living history of San Francisco.