Explore San Francisco
Also Featured In
Photo courtesy of de Young Museum
de Young Museum
Type: Art Museums, History Museums, Museums
First opened in 1895, the de Young is San Francisco's oldest, most diversified art museum. In late 2005, after many months of renovation, the facility reopened with a new, copper-clad exterior and... Read More
First opened in 1895, the de Young is San Francisco's oldest, most diversified art museum. In late 2005, after many months of renovation, the facility reopened with a new, copper-clad exterior and updated, newly fashioned exhibits. The museum's collections feature primarily American art from the colonial period to the mid 20th century, but you'll also find textiles, crafts and decorative arts, not to mention extensive collections of African, Oceanic and pan-American art. If you visit, be sure to take the elevator to the top of the Hamon Observation Tower. Since the tower is located in the center of San Francisco, it offers a fantastic, 360-degree view of the entire city and surrounding landscape.
50 Hagiwara Tea Garden Dr
San Francisco, CA 94118-4500
- Jan: -; Nov Tue-Thu,; Sat-Sun; 9:30am-5:15pm
- Fri: 9:30am-8:45pm Dec Tue-Sun; 9:30am-5:15pm
- Adult $10; Senior (65+) $7; Child (13-17) $6; Child (12 and under) Free
- Museums: "Since it's in the heart of Golden Gate Park, leave time for before or after your visit to explore San Francisco's most famous green space."
- Best for Museums Because: the de Young Museum offers some of the most current and diverse exhibits in the city.